The fact that stress has a negative influence on employee productivity shouldn’t really be news to anyone. In the worst-case-scenario, stress can lead to health issues and even the dreaded burn-out that renders you unfit to work for an extended period of time. That’s why you should pay attention to the warning signs that your body gives you and try to diminish stress as much as possible. Prevention is key – reason enough for us to give you some pointers about avoiding stress altogether.
1. Prioritize. Are you once again working simultaneously on three different projects? Unsure about which task you should tackle first? You don’t always have an influence on the number of projects assigned to you. Divide each one in smaller steps and establish, which ones of these steps are more important and urgent. Keep this ranking in mind when planning your workday. Multitasking is a sought-after capability, but realistically you can‘t focus all your attention on more than one task at once.
2. Use breaks. They give you the opportunity to move a bit and clear your head. Use these opportunities for relaxation and don’t spend your breaks preparing for the next meeting.
3. Stay healthy. Did you know that fatty and calorie-rich food paired with a lack of exercise can increase stress levels? Don’t shy away from the salad bar during your lunch break and try to eat as healthy as possible and to get enough exercise in your free time as well. Ancient Romans were right when they said: „Mens sana in corpore sano“. Exercise triggers endorphines that will lift your spirits considerably and fast.
4. Manage your time well. Keep your calendar and organizer in check and assign each task the necessary amount of time, so that you experience as little pressure as possible. Time pressure is one of the main culprits when it comes to generating stress. In order to combat the feeling of carrying all the responsibility on your shoulders, appoint a replacement in-house. Should you be away, you don’t have to worry anymore about your projects standing still.
5. Say no. This doesn’t come easy for a lot of people, but you should consciously say „No“ to tasks for which you don’t have the time for or which are simply not your responsibility. This doesn’t turn you into a mean co-worker. Simply offer your help when you do have some time to spare.
6. Don’t neglect your hobbies. People who define themselves solely by their accomplishments at work are a lot more prone to stress when things don’t go according to their plan at the office. Take time for your hobbies, so that you can feel successful and accomplished outside of work as well.